Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Salem

Salem has a vintage (warning--euphemism) looking downtown, and it was clearly a happening place 80 or 100 years ago. They have free parking near the mall downtown, things could be a lot worse. The traffic at 5pm, however, is nearly unmanageable. Almost all the streets are 4 lane one ways, with mandatory turn lanes on either side. Unfortunately, once you become stuck in a left turn lane, you turn into a mandatory left turn lane. If the roads were clear of those other people who litter the streets like debris, this would be alleviable by merely changing lanes. At 5pm, this can lead to a frustrating cycle of turns through a maze, and a resulting loss of direction.
It took me twenty minutes to make my way onto the wrong highway leaving Salem, following a state route that took me through a handful of farming villages along the way to Portland. I hadn't seen a Grange Hall or a 4H in a very long time, but the town of Lincoln has them both, along with a single-steepled church on the corner of the only intersection.
In defense of this detour, I found a taco shop in West Salem that had decent Carne Asada burritos... guacamole, no beans, no rice, no options. Subway has led to a massive complication of the non-burger fast food industry, tempting even stalwarts like burger king to let you 'have it your way'.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Sadly, I didn't even see the mall in Salem. I spent all my time at the convention center, and most of that in the toilet (long story).
There is a strong mix of new and old, and like many parts of oregon, there are lots of things still open on the streets. I was able to pick up a drawing mannequin in an art shop on Commercial street.
As for historical research, I find I don't have time to enjoy the things I would have learnt, and very little interest in consuming the 'culture' of these places.
I understand Salem is the capital of oregon, I had a hard time getting though it, and never found the government houses. I was lucky in Iowa City to be drawn into the old core of the town, but in Salem I had no direction to follow. I was very likely only blocks from the Willamette, and only blocks from the many things to see.

Thank you for your comment. I will try to identify other things perhaps in the future besides the mall.