Friday, January 13, 2006

Miscellany

1. I have photos which I will add to existing posts (Sheridan, Iowa, Hawai'i, etc.) I don't have the driver to offload them from my camera on my work laptop, so it will have to wait until after I am safe at home on the mainland.
2. Friday the 13th, nothing bad happened yet. Unless you count not getting upgraded to the executive suite at the hotel because my travel agent forgot to tell them how nice a guy I was when she booked it. CJ took care of it this morning, and he has a much nicer view! But if that's what I have to complain about, none of you will sympathise.
3. It is sure nice to be here in Hawai'i. I landed slightly early, didn't have an excessive wait, CJ handled the bulk of the questions at our meeting this afternoon, and it's going to be golf cart races all weekend. Going out with Kevin tonight, should be a fun time. Need to stay alert, stay alive so I can be sprightly tomorrow morning. We have a limited window, since classes start Tues morning.
4. I picked up Best American Short Stories at O'Hare last night, it is fairly good. One thing it took me a short time to grasp, the stories are presented in reverse alphabetical order by author's name. Everybody wants to be different. I wonder if that is a precedent that has been followed for a while, or whether the guest editor decided that especially for 2003.
5. Oddly, it is edited by Walter Mosley, of Easy Rawlins fame. I heard a snippet about him this morning on the drive to the airport. Thanks NPR! Something about 'character centered fiction' versus plot driven... I remember because Easy Rawlins at once is short for Ezekiel, and a cute analog for easy rolling...

No comments: