Friday, January 27, 2006

Finally, Someone 'gets' me!

ING Direct has started a promotion where new funds deposited after 19 Jan earn a whopping 4.75% APY until April 15th. Unfortunately, they subtract all withdrawls from the 19th on to determine net new money, so I can't withdraw a few thousand now, wait a week, redeposit it, and let it ride. But anybody with cash in the couch cushions would probably find this an attractive rate. What's the average 180 day CD rate? 3.88%! Take that. Way to stick it to the man! However, if you have $10,000 to lock away, VirtualBank is offering 4.4% 90 day CDs.

I saw an add for a credit card, recomending that you get a high interest 'miles' card, then every month transfer your balance to their card. Keep your miles, avoid the interest. Clever. The banks are all tripping over themselves trying to get your debt. It must be worth a lot to go through all that effort.

1 comment:

CristinB said...

Thanks for steering me in the direction of ING Direct last March, it was a wise idea. It set me up with something to throw money into every couple of weeks, plus any bonus checks, and not even notice, since I don't really have the tendency to check it all the time. Then I check in every once in a while and say "wow, I have more money than I thought saved up and what a great interest return!"