Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Iowa City


I left Wyoming. It was a bumpy ride taking off in the Beechcraft. They had a barrier in place between the captain and the cabin this time, but otherwise the flight went well. This could be a good time to launch a lengthy complaint about the way codesharing is implemented these days... but I will save my frustrations for another time.

I arrived late in Des Moines. One of two things are possible. Either Fleur Rd is the right way to go, in which case Des Moines could benefit from an expressway to the airport, or I should have taken a right leaving the rental lot. It wasn't that bad, and I could see the skyline in the distance, so I knew I was bound to hit either 35/80 or 235 sooner or later.

Just in time, too. I found 235 right as Fleur becomes MLK. It seems that MLK is always in the worst neighborhood in every city in the US. Please someone offer a counterexample. Don't use San Diego, the MLK expressway (CA-94) goes straight to Encanto. There has to be a better way to honor the man.

I was thinking about taking up a workout regime... in a sort of new year's resolution. But I know I wouldn't follow through. Like tonight, when I am not working out. There is a pool, it's open til 11. I could swim for an hour. The exercise room is open til midnite. I could bicycle nowhere for a while. But I have decided to watch Ghostbusters 2, showing on Spike!

1 comment:

CristinB said...

When I was little, I remember taking Fleur drive to the airport once, so it might be the okay way to go. Also, MLK Drive used to not be as bad as it is now, or at least it didn't seem that way when I lived there. I lived at 1125 Harding Road, which would now be known as 1125 MLK Drive, which is within walking distance to the freeway because I had to pass over it on my way to school (Edmunds Elementary, which can be seen from the freeway). I remember when they changed the name of the street from Harding Road and my parents complaining that now they really would never be able to sell the house. It was a shitty neighborhood back then, and I'm pretty sure that it still is. I always thought that our house was really nice though, and I hope that whoever is living there now appreciates the hard work that my dad put into completely re-doing the kitchen and adding that shower in the basement. I also hope that they still have the lilac bushes in the back yard, and enjoy the beauty of the gingerbread work on the front stairway and the beautiful mirror, mantle, and brick work around the fireplace. And if they have kids, I hope that the kids have fun playing games in the "servant" stairway leading up to one of the bedrooms. Wow, what reminiscing. Now I'm sad, that place was great. I cried the day that I found out that we were leaving.