Monday, January 09, 2006

Joys of Homeownership

Or the constant barrage of 'offers'.
Yesterday we bought a wireless phone, so now we can get phone calls in the house. Due to a quirk in wiring only the garage was connected previously.
This morning I got a very nice phone call from a window/siding company looking to do business, and a phishing attempt from a 'mortgage co'.
My friendly assistant at Fidelity asked what my payments were, how long I had been here, what I had paid (all of which are easy to figure... and available from the Pierce County Clerks webpage). Then she asked how much my taxes and insurance were. I suppose her computer program asked her, so she asked me, so they can give an accurate quote... I would have been okay with a simple mortgage payment quote, I can add escrow myself, due to the fine education I received at the St Paul Public Schools.
Then she asked for my birthday. I may be paranoid, but I refused to give her that. She hung up, no goodbye, no offer to send a written quote, no acceptance and simply waiting until they pull my credit to find it out (it's right at the top of the report, by the ssn). It's also too creepy to call me unsolicited with an offer that you never reveal until I answer a few basic questions...
I had a man call me a few months back asking me for my checking account information over the phone. I forget what marvelous product they thought I needed. Probably a phone card with unlimited minutes or some similar hoax.
I rather liked the phone not ringing.
Lastly, to all you telemarketers out there: I appreciate the commissions you receive from a buyer contribute the greater portion of your check, and that time on the line is a factor in your evaluations. I suggest you quit now, and find respectable employment, but I understand if that's not an attractive option. Please, at least say goodbye, and perhaps thank me for my time. It's bad business not to take care of your customers. Feelings will trump pricing all the time.

No comments: