Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Mexico City Day Two

Today I set my alarm early since no one had contacted me yet. I slept in, woke up to a call from a customer in Seattle, and then got ready. About 920Am I emailed the office since I don't want to pay for the phone calls and international calls are blocked from my cell phone. I got a call not 5 minutes later from the rep agancy here. The woman who called me spoke no English, and the man who she handed the phone to was not involved, so he asked me what I wanted... after another hour or so someone (Arturo) came to pick me up.

We drove through some pretty tony neighbourhoods in the hills, and sputtered along the Reforma (What lanes, oh, the white lines?) before arriving at the customer site. Every building in Mexico seems to have security guards, and patrols, and staff. Costco has a pay to park lot. Oh, we went to lunch at Costco. I had the chicken bake, Arturo had the chicken caesar.

I arrived, nothing worked, I got it 90% functional in an hour, and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to fix the rest. Scheduled some training for tomorrow.

On the drive home, it started to rain. They get serious lightening here. It was impressive. Traffic is amazing. I was giddy with terror! We stopped on Prado Norte for tortas. The sandwhiches aren't any cheaper than they are in the states, but the avocado is free. I washed my hands in a basin in the back (it was the dish sink I think). Single spigot, rinse, get some Salvo (salvo me salva!) on your hands and lather up. It was reminiscent of the granular soap from public schools. No paper towels, no tables, no counters. I had an agua fresca that was made from cranberry juice (maybe?) and was between a sloppy smooth shake and a sherbet. Served in a styrofoam cup, with a styrofoam lid, served out of a ladle!

2 comments:

CristinB said...

You mean that Costco doesn't have foot long hot dogs and slices of pizza in Mexico? If you get the chance, you've got to try one of those street vendor hot dogs loaded with more than a Chicago dog and tell me how it is. I dream about eating one someday.

Dan said...

I did see the hot dogs and pizza. And I've had a few hot dogs from the Bimbo vendor carts in my day, the 'con todos' features tomato and mayonaise!