Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Ubuntu woes

Urgh, once again I struggled through the semiannual fight to bring a new ubuntu release onto my machines. It looks like my laptop adapted just fine, no loss of data or functionality, and apparently multiscreen display started working again.

My desktop had an issue where the soundcard module wasn't loaded into the kernel at boot. lsmod and modprobe showed tons of good things, but sound preferences was sending all my output to dummy device... well, reinstall from disk and thank heaven I partition /home far from /bin and /boot, and a fresh install is never more than a few hours of synaptic from yesterdays machine.

Since I've moved well away from Unity, I sometimes forget how little I like it, it's like a cute little jail, with a non-configurable dock, stupid invisible scrollbars, and garish colors. Gnome 2 on the laptop and WindowMaker on the desktop are the winners, still.

Only thing left is to set static ip on boot, not sure why the 'friendly' installer doesn't ask these questions anymore. Time was, installation was full of more questions than an income tax form.

1 comment:

Dan said...

oh, I forgot that the useless plymouthd somehow failed to stop after a complete boot (makes me wonder if booting really was complete). I don't know if it had to do with changing the login daemon from lightdm to wdm, or if there were other underlying issues. It was cute to have 5 dots cycling in the center of an X11 display, marring the background image and making the computer look unwell.