Sunday, May 20, 2012

SciSmalltalk Updates

I updated SciSmalltalk's Metacello configuration to version 1.01. This version incorporates new bugfixes in the GeneticOptimizer submitted by Werner Kassens, and includes 200 unit tests. Test coverage is about 65-68% right now. This number is difficult to gauge as TestRunner and Monticello are having some confusion about which package some methods reside in, so the coverage is registered once, but the methods are shown twice. Though I have an internal guess about which these are, I have a hard time justifying the firm numbers. Once I have 100% test coverage, it will likely still show several methods in the list. C'est la vie. The broad majority of uncovered methods are in DHB-Numerics (a little over 400 methods need tests.)

I'm tempted to look into incorporating Nicolas Cellier's Arbitrary Precision Floating Point package (already included his Quaternion, Complex, and Number Extensions). I'm a little sad that there are no Doubles in Pharo/Squeak.

I need to start in on the ODE system solvers. I'm looking into odeint-v2 as a source of inspiration. Un-templating the C++ code into a dynamic language looks to be a fun time for me! I'm not certain I need to involve the generality of arbitrary algebras that they did, a good portion of this looks like it was built in to add support for CUDA operations.

I had a fun time this morning, as I did a pull merge in the wrong order and had to play some games to get my work from last night brought back into line. All the code from the commit was still visible, and all the packages were in the cache, so it wasn't more than a well learned lesson for the future. At least my own commits are visible in the timeline on my github person page.

No comments: