Friday, March 03, 2006

Usefulness, and Human Nature

Headlines in the BBC today include a study that 18 month old human children from diverse backgrounds will uniformly offer help when they understand that it is needed, and that they understand it better than chimps. It also suggested that 18 month olds would not fetch an object if it looked like you meant to drop it.

In the spirit of usefulness, I have been keeping my otherwise idle cpu very busy chewing on some climate model data. It is fairly altruistic of me, but it seems slightly wasteful of electricity. Perhaps it seems more glamourous to be part of the analysis of the problem that to just turn off the unused computer.

In the spirit of idleness, I have been working 40+ hours per work. Oh, idleness... well, there are always weekends... this one will be dedicated to signing a large packet of paperwork for my second mortgage... to pay for the siding. Which was nice, and will take ten years to pay off... (doubt that), and had better be nice years from now. The windows are already good.

I will also be taking my Saturn to the dealer for maintenance, 30K checkup, replacement of very hard to get to rear break lights (above the rear windshield--does anyone know how to get these out?) and to see about replacing the blower for my heater/air conditioner, or be made fun of for checking the wrong fuse...

I have a chip in my windshield from a wayward rock thrown at me by a trucks rear tire on the way home from Vancouver... I wonder what that may cost... I'm sure they will try to give me a stern lecture on the dangers of having a partly chipped glass in front of my face... it seems more dangerous to be the passenger.

No comments: