Sunday, November 06, 2011

While I'm at it (complaining)

I really think Marmalade is great (emacs package site). I really wish installed packages weren't shown as installed if they error out. But getting up to speed quickly (starter-kit) is great, and it works everywhere... makes a more consistent ui possible when you work on multiple machines. It's almost as pretty as quicklisp for elisp packages. And again, after an upgrade, I find that ditching as many of the native packages in the lisp arena as possible is a must. Step 1, install sbcl. Step 2, build a fresh and current sbcl, step 3, uninstall sbcl, redirect /usr/bin/lisp to /usr/local/bin/sbcl. Uninstall common-lisp controller, install slime/swank, install quicklisp, and proceed with the rest of the world.

ELPA looks like a nice second if for some reason you aren't nearly as excited about marmalade as I am. Really, including failed packages as installed is my only gripe.

No comments: