Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sadness

One of the worst parts about running a nonstandard operating system on a nonstandard architecture is compiled packages. Amazon correctly noticed I appeared to be running linux, and went more than half way in offering a compiled .deb file for debian/ubuntu. Alas, 4 seconds later, I find it's a 32 bit package, and can't find a 64 bit package. A few fumbling --force-architecture mistakes later with dpkg, and I now have installed a mess of broken dependencies.

How did I dig myself out of this? Launch wine, install firefox for windows, install cloud player/mp3 downloader, and go. Interestingly, wine (as close as I can tell) only supports win32, while my linux seems to choke on dynamically linked 32 bit executables. Years ago I had a debian 32 bit sandbox installed in a chroot environment for dealing with this, but the sands of time make even Ozymandias look weak.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Okay, waste of effort, it looks like this works out of the box in Banshee. Which is good, because I think many things in Banshee aren't quite as nice as RhythmBox was. But Amazon seems to look just fine, and I click download all and it starts a side process. Good stuff.