Sunday, June 08, 2008

Tomato

I love reaction. Last year I couldn't get spinach, this time McDonald's won't put tomatoes on my sandwich. I understand there is no economical way to identify the risk of food poisoning, and it's not the sort of liability that a company wants to undertake. Maybe we need to start labeling the origin of our food. The Salinas Valley spinach outbreak was ultimately tied to a single source, but there was little way of identifying a bag of spinach from one plant. The agro companies don't give this. Consumers don't check it. I'm a huge fan of having lettuce in January, but it seems like local food would stop these nationwide outbreaks. Who knows, the variety of seasonal vegetable might just stretch out imagination.

Didn't I read that a vinegar water wash would make help kill bacteria on produce? How much trouble would that be for a company like McDonald's. Maybe I misunderstood, and tomatoes were just getting more expensive than they'd like to serve. I suppose it's possible that they could have just run out at the restaurant I went to, but she said "no longer serving tomatoes".

Lastly, I hate that Firefox's spellcheck expects an e in tomatos. I know it's the proper english, but it seems like a dead letter stuck where it has no place. Ditto for potatos.

No comments: