Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Irreverent Tutorials... I don't like their tone.

Do you know what a typewriter is? Well, a typewriter is a mechanical device which was used last century to produce printed documents. :-)

After you have typed one line of text on a typewriter, you have to manually return the printing carriage to the left margin position and manually feed the paper up one line.

In Windows applications, a new line is normally stored as a pair of characters: carriage return (CR) and line feed (LF). The character pair bears some resemblance to the typewriter actions of setting a new line. In Unix applications, a new line is normally stored as a LF character. Macintosh applications use only a CR character to store a new line.


From W3schools.com XML tutorial. I should complain more except a wonderful explanation of the inner workings of iron ring and drum memory units have been useful to me. Maybe there are people out there who never owned a typewriter. Ah, the joy of being 30... What else didn't people own? I had a slide rule when I was 9, but I never did learn to use it. I had a speak and spell, and a sit and spin, and a slip and slide. I had a mechanical typewriter with black and red ink tape, no built in magic paper well, and the carriage return was separable from the line feed. Two very long arms. I think Typewriter parts look like the magic pieces of a clarinet.

No comments: