Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Turnkey Internet

I've been playing around with Digital Ocean's cloud servers lately, and appreciated the time to destroy and allocate VPS servers. They've been rock solid, and I can't complain about the price. This week, Turnkey Internet had their black friday deals. $10/mo for a 4GB Ram, 4 core, 40GB disk VPS is a pretty good deal. Turnkey uses Xen for paravirtualization, which should be fine.

My first disappointment or surprise was that they advertised debian 7 wheezy as a target, but only allowed preinstallation of squeeze. This for me is a pretty big deal, because I'd like the deployment environment and the development environment to be the same. Right now all my home computers (except this laptop) are on wheezy, and will likely be for a while. Since I have in the past done a squeeze to wheezy upgrade in situ (without reimaging), I'm curious how this will go in a VPS where the kernel is not under my control. I always do this wrong, that is, not doing it first. Upgrading takes longer when you have additional packages installed. Afterword - that failed. The remote console also failed to help - this was showing a public key rejected, suggesting the "PasswordAuthentication No" option I'd set in the sshd_config was being read by the 'serial console' (strange). However, at that point, having destroyed the OS and left it in an unbootable position, it looks like installation of a debian 7.2 system is supported once you log in to the control panel area.

They have a pretty strict policy about spam (thats good), at least on paper, including surprisingly punitive service fees for addressing complaints. It looks like they don't delegate the PTR records, so that might be my first support ticket. Right now this resolves back to my.ipv4.address.static.as40244.net. I'm not sure whether I care enough to pursue this.

No comments: