Saturday, March 29, 2014

Quick Thoughts about Digital Ocean

I recently started playing with DO Droplets. From 0.7 cents per hour, the cost of experimenting is very low. The total time from creation to up and running a website, for me, without extensive prescripted deployment recipes, is under two hours, and seems to be a manageable cost at $5. This is very favorably priced compared to shared hosting, and the KVM vps seems to handle memory more adequately than my vz vps. SBCL always segfaults during build process on a VPS with more ram on the VZ side, and correctly built on the 512MB DO system. I find that needing to destroy the container when done to release the resources is not too bad, I could imagine spinning up a test container on the fly (60 seconds to do this) and releasing it after finishing. I also found that the same hostname yielded the same IP address a second time, a week later. I don't know that I should count on this, but it certainly saved a little trouble fiddling with DNS.

No comments: