Saturday, August 10, 2013

My Next Week, and my summer so far

Summer is winding down. In May, I started at WiredTree, with the expectation that after a few months I would be moving to night work. I just had the meeting with my manager, and Monday the 12th of August will be my last Nine to Five day in the office. I will begin my late work at 8PM on Wednesday the 14th. So my schedule will look something like Wednesday night to Friday night every week with Saturday nights also every other week. If it works out, I may not need to move my ballet tickets too much. If not, there's some flexibility in time off that I can take advantage of.

Training has been an interesting experience. I'm using linux in ways I never had, and dealing with much different aspects of the system. I'm seeing PHP up close, a language I never needed. I'm dealing with ill defined plugins to solve strangely ambitious problems, (I just want the page to load fast). I see the slime that inhabit the internet, smut peddlers, spammers, scammers, and people hawking little plastic pieces up close. I'm beginning to sympathise with them and understand their motivations. I may, gasp, end up revisiting Perl. Since I had always previously treated computers as really fast adding machines, the whole internet thing seems to have past me by without changing my habits too much. That's why my twitter account is quiet, my Facebook was deleted years ago, this blog gets a post when I feel like it. But I seem to pull the current emacs and sbcl branches at least once a week.

No comments: