Monday, May 27, 2013

Week Three

After noting down a few reactions to my first week back at work, maybe it's a good idea to continue in that direction for a while. I finished my third week at work this Friday, and am enjoying a federal holiday off today. I've moved from filling out worksheets to explore the systems they support to starting to support their systems.

This week began with abuse, copyright, phishing and spam incident handling, and progressed by the end of the week to active user requests (the bread and butter of what I will be doing for some time). It was funny in that I was able to shut down a site for phishing on Thursday afternoon, and assist the admin in restoring it on Friday.

The only really funny part, is having to adjust to all these servers sitting in a datacenter in downtown chicago, set to local time for the admins scattered around the globe. At 1PM on Friday in the central US, it's half past midnight in Mumbai the next morning. Staring at timestamps gets to be great fun when you always have to ask the system what time it is to make any inferences about the past.

I have started to notice the sound of phones ringing, for a while I was under the impression that it seldom happened, since it was deafeningly silent for the most part in the office. As I get more of a handle on what happens there, I think I start to notice it happening more as well.

No comments: