Saturday, October 01, 2011

Seriously, Emacs is a winner

Anyone using rfcview? This is about as useful as an umbrella in a rain shower! The fact that I just give it a number, and it fetches a well formatted text file for me is a feeling of power. When was the last time your editor gave you a feeling of power.

The gdb integration is superb, and I'm on my way to making it my primary email editor (largely due to finger inertia, after a few hours of write compile debug, it's easy to forget how to use more 'friendly' software.) How do you kill a line in Evolution, anyway?

I recently forced w3m to start working, which is pretty slick as far as non-javascript powered browsers go. It's a lot prettier than lynx.

As if slime weren't reason enough.

1 comment:

Dan said...

On the subject of email editors, the current default mail client in ubuntu has changed to thunderbird (great support for nntp which is a plus). Does anyone know how to adjust the fill-column-width? I really want my editor/composer to limit lines to 72 characters. For various reasons. It seems like the editor wants to use all space in the window. I really think 72 is the right thing to do. Finding the right option in the configuration list is dizzying. It looks like they exposed about 10 things you can change, and buried the rest of it in the advanced config options, which are not clearly hierarchical, and not documented where you see them (I'm sure there is documentation, but it's not in the place where I'm about to make a potentially aggravating change blindly... please someone add hover).