Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ubuntu

Every six months when a new ubuntu release comes out, I timidly install it first on one machine, then another, and am amazed at the changes. Sometimes, it's good. Sometimes it's bad. For example, I recently discovered that support for my CanoScan 200 has been incorporated into xsane (this wasn't the case a year ago). That's a good change.

The unity desktop is easily enough discarded by logging out and choosing classic. The sticking downsides would be that the console fonts or screen resolution changed without my doing anything, and are now painfully small and wrongly aligned. It also seems like my maximum X resolution given the same card, driver, and monitor have been inconsistent from release to release.

But I scanned an image, it works, and I'm happy:

No comments: