Sunday, January 17, 2010

Line of Credit

Every time I think Navy Federal has nothing to offer me, I find another way that they can make my life better. I just opened a $2500 line of credit with them (unsecured at 14.9%). I don't intend to use it, but it should make my types of credit accounts improve, since I control my borrowing rather tightly. Another interesting product Navy Federal offers is a credit line secured by CD's (share certificates). Interest rate is the CD apr +2%, since it is secured, and the term can be up to 5 years. If you need to borrow your own money (short term need to access the money you have locked up in a certificate), this is a startlingly clear way to do it. If they had a branch closer than Waukegan, that would be better still.

Some day in the distant future, I may even borrow money for a car. I don't really want to, so that day will have to be in the distant future.

I would gladly have opened this at whatever usurious rates Chase suggested if they would only offer. Sadly, they do not.

(side note, why does spell check think of Milwaukee, Waukesha, Pewaukee, but not know about Waukegan?)

No comments: