Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nexus Pass

A nexus pass is a joint identification and pre-approval system used at the US/Canada border which allows low risk travellers expedited access to the border. My experience at the Peace Arch makes it look like if the lane is open, it saves about 20 minutes getting into the US, and wouldn't make it worthwhile going through into Canada. I don't remember if the Pacific crossing (a few miles inland from the peace arch -- 24 hr truck port of entry) has a lane.

Nexus also has some improvements in US customs access. A similar program is Canpass Air, which gets your iris scan and prints a welcome to canada receipt once you prove you're you.

I shied away from it for a long time since the border is never very hectic for me. Driving home on a Friday from Vancouver might change my tune. Last time I tried, it was so long a man with an ice cream cart was wheeling through the idling cars, like a six flags water salesman (longer the line, the higher the cost!) It's $50 for a five year pass. Not a bad deal. Canpass Air is $50 /year, which was what I expected.

Of course, it may be time for the 2010 Olympics before the shiny new cbsa station at the peace arch is back in working order. By then we may have razor wire pulled for 3000 miles, and nobody gets across without a rectal exam...

No comments: