Friday, August 04, 2006

Things that can be helped... things that can't

Sitting here at the Reno Airport... Waiting for my name to be called. The gate agent speakers are clear close to the gate, but very muffled in the gallery and most of the seating. That can be helped. Get new speakers.

Sitting in the rows of chairs full of patient folks waiting to board an already late flight, I here the agent calling a name. Whose? Mine? Who knows, there is a loud 10 year old and her busy parents talking, and groups laughing heartily eight inches behind me. People can't be helped. They'll talk. Why shouldn't they?

So now I am camped out in the gallery, figuring the noise from the folks won't be so bad. A long announcement regarding connections to Anchorage is being given. Apparently the Airport cannot stop the 'Don't park here, keep your bag with you, report bad people' tape from playing when the airlines are using their PA's. Separate systems, no lockout. In the interest of clarity, this can, and should, be helped. Get an interlock that delays the taped message that we all heard at least twice proceeding through the security line anyway until the airlines have finished their pages.

Got a call from Buzz. Moving day is upon her. Family come down to help move/unpack.

I may spend 12 hours here at the airport if I can't get on the two early flights. What to do to avoid drinking...

I was driving over Donner Pass last night. I have never seen it in the day. Whenever I have had an afternoon drive across the mountains I followed CA-89 (Truckee to Reno, November '05) or US-50 (San Francisco to Carson City in June '06). I have also come up 395 from Mammoth to Reno.

I stopped at the Donner Summit rest area. It was cool, probably low 50's (not bad for 7200 feet). It was dark, but there was some site lighting. I saw a toad hopping along in a sand pile. There was moisture collected in the shadow of a small boulder.
The toad hopped to there and then stopped.

3 comments:

CristinB said...

While at Donner Pass, did you pause to think about that group of people who were forced to eat each other during that horrible winter, years and years ago?

I'm all moved in. Almost all of the furniture is set up. My dad hung a mirror for me and put up a new, better, towel rack in the bathroom. I slept in my own bed for the first time in forever. It was lovely.

Now you and Beth can come and visit me!

Dan said...

As a matter of fact, I had just had a conversation within the past few weeks regarding the Donner Party. They could have gone just ten more miles and the winter would have been over... instead, this bunch of prissy women trying to cart pianos across the wasteland of Nevada decided they would just wait it out rather than give up a few things...

Also, word on the street is they bough a bogus 'shortcut' map from a man back in fort kearny -- or someother remotely western place, and that's how they got stuck up there to begin with, shouldn't have tried to cheat the road... ironically, this bogus shortcut now carries tons of freight across the sierras, on one of the longest interstate roads in the country (90 is the longest, Seattle to Boston).

Mostly I was wondering what it was like for a cold blooded amphibian to live at 7200 feet...

CristinB said...

Congratulations on meeting the 30-days without a post point. What, are you trying to be like me? I need entertaining dammit!